Five months after President Trump announced in a tweet that the North Korea nuclear catastrophe was over, the command of Kim Jong Un allegedly is still building new atomic weapons.
At facilities across North Korea, Pyongyang is seemingly producing missiles that can deliver the additional warheads that the country is producing.
In a report published on Monday by the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington D.C. think tank utilized used commercial satellite imagery and interviews with North Korean traitors and government officials to ascertain what it labelled as 13 previously secret missile facilities.
According to the report of U.S. State Department spokesperson, seven more facilities are hidden, and the department could not comment on the CSIS report due to the Veterans Day holiday.
North Korea tried for the first time in July 2017, a long-range rocket proficient of delivering a nuclear warhead to the continental United States. The Kim authority shot its 6th underground atomic test-blast in September.
As a response, U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis cautioned of a latent “massive military response.”
After more than a year of intensifying mutual threats, in early 2018 Trump and Kim settled to meet. As a run-up Kim released American hostages, and shortly after the Singapore summit, in a display of good faith, Trump froze a major military exercise with South Korea.
Trump told reporters back in Washington that the nuclear topic was solved. Juxtaposing his own efforts with those of President Barack Obama, he stated: “I have solved that problem. That problem is largely solved.”
In the interim, North Korea paused flight-testing of long-range missiles along with underground atomic testing. Jeffrey Lewis, a nuclear expert at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey and the author of the novel The 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against the United States explained that these actions have nothing to do with Trump’s threats.
Trump met Kim in Singapore in June for a vigilantly staged photo-op. The two leaders sealed the deal with a document pledging to strive toward “a stable and lasting peace.” However, they did not agree to a utilitarian plan for halting Kim’s nuclear-weapons production and jettisoning its existing armory of around 50 warheads with the medium and long-range missiles that can carry them.
Trump tweeted as a mark of his victory stating that, “There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea.”
Trump’s announcement was a lie or a reflected great misunderstanding on the president’s part of Kim’s promises and plans. Because Kim never promised to dismantle his nuclear program, the secret missile bases CSIS revealed are “no surprise to anyone,” said Lewis.
Lewis further added, “Kim didn’t deceive anyone. Trump deceived himself.”
However, an opportunity for a meaningful effort to denuclearize North Korea still lingers. Kim demands a formal end to the official state of war that has always existed between U.S. and North Korea since the end of Korean War in 1953.
Kimball said, “That costs us nothing.” Although some analysts doubt that a peace declaration will result in the withdrawal of tens of thousands of American troops from the Korean peninsula. In return, Kim may agree to talk about the rollback of his country’s atomic capabilities, only if Pyongyang gets relief from crippling economic sanctions.
Kimball stated, “The North Koreans have been asking for, calling for, corresponding steps by the United States on ending hostilities and arriving at peace regime. They haven’t gotten what they wanted, so they’re going to continue to improve what they see as their deterrence capabilities.”
He further clarified, “That’s what makes the diplomacy that has been sputtering since Singapore so important. It’s what makes progress.”